Pages

Tuesday 24 July 2012

Retro Surprise

A little while back when researching new ideas for retrospectives I stumbled across Adam Wesibart's Retrospective Cookies creation.

I quite liked the idea and thought it sounded interesting and different enough to have a go at. However, I don't like fortune cookies. I find them plain and boring, and if you don't strike lucky you can find yourself chewing on something akin to cardboard. I also didn't find the price overly exciting.

So I took the idea, ran with it, fused it with my fondness for Kinder Surprise eggs and came up with what I'm declaring the Retro Surprise.

Now, this is fundamentally the same idea as the Retrospective Cookies but with a couple of differences:

- We're using Kinder capsules instead of cookies. They're reusable and will keep your costs down. The capsules contain the thought provoking questions, just like the cookies do. You can also swirl them around in a bowl, lending themselves quite nicely to the lucky dip concept.
-  The capsules also contain a chocolate reward to eat, so you get a sugary kick whilst deliberating the answers.
- Most of the capsules contain a chocolate that everyone loves. A couple though will contain one of the unpopular chocs that always get left at the bottom of the box. Times are already hard enough if you draw one of these - so you just get a declaration of 'Bad times' and things move on.
- I've got no real reason for including the above element other than it adds a bit of fun knowing there are a couple of booby prizes out there.

All in all I found this a fun and productive retrospective. The newness of the format helped keep the team engaged and we came up with some really great improvement ideas. As with any format though I think it will be important to use this as one of many approaches to keep things fresh and vibrant.

Some of the Retro Surprise capsules...





















Be careful though or you could end up with a desk like this..........


















Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment